Building on the knowledge your child will have gained from their Year 4 schooling, the Year 5 Maths Course will help them to understand the concepts and ideas covered at this level. This includes numbers and place values, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, fractions, decimals, measurements, shapes, and statistics.
They’ll be provided with lots of opportunities to solve problems and practise what they are learning by working through various tasks. The course will help them to develop an understanding of each new topic, the ability to recall and apply knowledge, and a mathematical mind when breaking down problems and seeking solutions.
Your child will learn to determine the value of each digit up to 1,000,000. They’ll also learn rounding, counting forwards and backwards, and reading Roman numerals to 1,000. They’ll be guided in adding and subtracting whole numbers with more than four digits, identifying multiples and factors, prime numbers, prime factors and composite (non-prime) numbers, and how to multiply and divide numbers up to four digits.
They’ll look at how to use square numbers and cube numbers, compare and order fractions whose denominators are all multiples of the same number, and recognise mixed numbers and improper fractions and convert from one form to the other.
The Year 5 Maths Course will help children practise working with decimals, including converting them to fractions, rounding, comparing, and solving problems that require knowing percentage and decimal equivalents.
Children will explore converting units of metric measurement, calculating the perimeter and area of shapes, and practice identifying 3-D shapes from 2-D representations. They’ll gain a greater understanding of angles, and learn how to recognise a shape's reflection or translation.
Expanding their understanding of statistics, the course also explains line graphs and how to look at data in tables.
By studying this course, your child will learn to:
- Determine the value of each digit up to 1,000,000 and how to round up and down, count forwards and backwards, and read Roman numerals to 1,000
- Add and subtract whole numbers with more than four digits
- Identify multiples and factors, prime numbers, prime factors and composite numbers
- Multiply and divide numbers up to four digits
- Use square and cube numbers
- Compare and order fractions, recognise mixed numbers and improper fractions and convert them
- Work with decimals and converting them to fractions, and understand percentages and their decimal equivalents
- Convert measurements, calculate perimeter and area, identify 3-D shapes from 2-D representations, and understand angles
- Understand line graphs and how to use data in tables