Building on the knowledge your child will have gained from their Year 3 schooling, the Year 4 Maths Course will help them to understand the concepts and ideas covered at this level, including number and place value, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, fractions, decimals, measurements, shapes, symmetry and statistics.
They’ll be provided with varied and frequent practice with problems, helping them to develop understanding, the ability to recall and apply knowledge, and a mathematical mind when breaking down problems and seeking solutions.
Your child will learn how to count in multiples of 6, 7, 9, 25 and 1,000, count backwards through 0 to include negative numbers while recognising the place value of each digit in a four-digit number, round any number to the nearest 10, 100 or 1,000, and read Roman numerals to 100.
They’ll discover how to add and subtract numbers with up to 4 digits using columnar addition and subtraction where appropriate, count up and down in hundredths; recognise and write decimal equivalents of any number of tenths or hundreds, and recall multiplication and division facts for multiplication tables up to 12 × 12.
Children will learn how to convert different units of measurement, calculate the perimeter and area of rectilinear shapes, classify geometric shapes by their properties and sizes, identify acute and obtuse angles, and be able to identify lines of symmetry in 2-D shapes.
The course also explains how to present discrete and continuous data using appropriate graphical methods, including bar charts and time graphs.
By studying this course, your child will learn to:
- Count in multiples of 6, 7, 9, 25 and 1,000, up and down in hundredths, and down into negative numbers
- Round numbers to the nearest 10, 100 or 1,000
- Add and subtract numbers with up to 4 digits using columnar addition and subtraction
- Recall multiplication and division facts for multiplication tables up to 12 × 12
- Convert units of measurement and calculate perimeter
- Classify geometric shapes and identify angles
- Identify lines of symmetry in 2-D shapes
- Present data using appropriate graphical methods